Saturday, October 5, 2013

My Cat Had a Fecal Transplant that Cured His Chronic Diarrhea

My Northern California Vet Performed the Procedure 

I'm writing this blog in the hope of alleviating the suffering of cats with chronic diarrhea, and to provide hope to cat owners.

In October, 2012, my 13-year old male tabby named Puck was treated with the antibiotic Clavamox for an upper respiratory infection. He recovered nicely from the infection, but the diarrhea that can often be associated with antibiotic use persisted for months. My veterinarian did bloodwork and an ultrasound. Parasites were ruled out. My vet eventually diagnosed Puck with ideopathic irritable bowel syndrome (IBD). Idiopathic means "of unknown origin." My vet tried various treatments:

  • The antibiotic metronidazole (Flagyl), which Puck resoundingly rejected (tastes terrible)
  • Corticosteroid injections
  • A foul-tasting white powder antibiotic called Tylosin, which was impossible to administer and which Puck also refused
  • Probiotic powder in his food

You can read more about IBD here:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/IBD.cfm

My vet and I agreed that an endoscopy/biopsy would be too traumatic to high-strung Puck. His diarrhea continued until May 2013, and started to contain bright-red blood. Puck became lethargic and was losing weight. My vet said that I should begin to prepare myself for the end times.

Then I remembered reading an October 2012 article in The New Yorker magazine about the success of fecal transplants in treating chronic conditions in human patients. I was excited because the cost was low, the treatment is relatively non-invasive, and the results were extremely promising. 

Here is the article: 
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/22/121022fa_fact_specter

But my vet said his clinic didn't do fecal transplants. Nobody does, he said. I switched to a veterinary clinic that specialized in oncology and other serious conditions, SAGE Centers for Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Care in San Mateo, CA. They said that Dr. Kris Bruskiewicz in their Concord office had recently begun doing fecal transplants. Puck had his fecal transplant there in May 2013. The procedure cost $450. Within a week, his diarrhea was completely cured. He has regained his weight, and although he has developed congestive heart failure (probably from a congenital heart defect and/or from steroid use) that restricts his vitality, I am relieved that he no longer suffers from chronic diarrhea and extremely grateful to Dr. Bruskiewicz for developing a methodology for fecal transplants. I highly recommend SAGE Centers. 

http://www.sagecenters.com

Lisa Weber
San Mateo, CA



11 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa - This is wonderful. How is Puck now as I can see it has been a while since this posting. Are you on the IBD Kitties group on Facebook? I would be interested in learning more about this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Artemis, great to see your comment! Puck never had a recurrence of diarrhea since his transplant, so I'd say it was an unqualified success. He's winding down at 15 years old due to the congestive heart failure, though. He takes Lasix and rests quite a bit. A CHF group on FB would be more helpful to me. Feel free to link to this post in the IBD group, and let me know if I can answer specific questions about the transplant. Wishing you the best of luck

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa - Your Puck is adorable. :) I'm so glad this procedure was a success for him, and glad to hear he is comfortable. I am considering FMT for my own cat who has had chronic diarrhea for a year (and I would be going to Dr. B as well). Our laundry list of attempted remedies for her diarrhea reads similar to yours (metronidazole, 3 mos on high dose of prednisolone, Vitamin B12 injections, more metronidazole, and various supplements and probiotics). Our poor little girl has had a rough year, and we are hoping to find something to help rid her of the diarrhea once and for all (she was diagnosed with hyperT shortly after the diarrhea began, and had the radioactive iodine treatment; that was a success, but the diarrhea persisted, and we knew something else must be going on. Her last major test, a diarrhea analysis, revealed clostridium toxicity). The metronidazole seemed to make the diarrhea worse, and was terrible to administer.

    I have several questions for the doctor before we are set on FMT, but could you tell me please ... does Puck continue to require probiotics in his meals, or did the FMT really "reset" his gut flora to a healthy, stable state in which supplements are not necessary?

    Thank you kindly, and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ, forgive my late reply! Puck's diarrhea cleared up entirely and he doesn't require any additional medication or supplements. May your girl be just as successful. Thank you for the question!

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I actually don't remember if Puck had a general anesthetic. I think a general anesthetic would have been more expensive than what I paid. As I recall he was there for approximately three hours.You might try calling Dr. B. and asking her to describe the procedure. I suspect she has perfected it over time. No, Puck's diarrhea didn't drip. Yes, a blender and a tampon were involved to keep the liquid in place. I hope this helps. I know how much anxiety is involved when a cat is ill. Wishing you the best.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, I checked the invoice for the transplant and there is a $40 charge for sedation. Maybe your vet can tell you if this is a typical charge for general anesthesia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And sorry I mispelled your name, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would suggest that you call Dr. B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look up MASH it is a Vet Clinic in Massachusetts & they have great success with FMT. FYI there are 3 ways it can be performed is my understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete